[Asterisk-Users] multi-user * installation

Joey Stanford joey at stan4d.net
Mon Apr 26 08:04:42 MST 2004

Howdy!

After searching around the internet and looking at countless
(different) examples of how to setup Asterisk, I've been unable to
locate enough to allow my puny brain to comprehend how to achieve my
goal.  I'm hoping some kind soul will point me in the right direction.

Scenario:  Multi-user asterisk installation.  Each user has several sip
and IAX accounts.  Each user has at least one primary extension.

User Goal: User #10 at ext 10 picks up phone and dials
FWD/SIPphone/Vonage/etc and callerid shows their name and respective
sip service numbers (93641/1747....,etc).   All calls to their
respective sip service numbers route to their extension only (then
voicemail).

Admin Goal: Generic extensions.conf and I only want to have to update
sip.conf and iax.conf (and of course voicemail).  The real goal is to
add user info IN ONE PLACE and not in 4+ config files if possible.

What I think I know:

I know that I can register incoming calls to extensions via register =>
  ...../ext.   I have these in sip.conf

I think I can do the same thing for IAX in IAX.conf but haven't tested
this.

I'm stuck trying to get a generic extensions.conf.  Right now I have to
add all sorts of custom context scrips combined with the generic macro
and I also have to add custom calling info (even if I add context items
in sip.conf and iax.conf)

Anyone have any clues to this?  This seems like it should be so easy
but I'm just not seeing the answer.  What I'm hoping for is a one
extension sample of sip.conf and iax.conf (if different) as well as
something that says "and for extensions.conf go see this example at
http://....etc." (or a relevant sample section of extensions.conf if
that is more meaningful.)

Thanks,

Joey