[Asterisk-Users] Using Exchange to send voicemail message

Chris Maresca ckm at crust.net
Sun Apr 25 23:05:15 MST 2004

What is your final goal?  Because, fundamentally, it does not matter where
the mail originates from, as it will simply be treated as mail.

If you asterisk install is running on a box that supports exchange, then
you can use it as the MTA, otherwise, you can setup the local Linux/unix
MTA (sendmail/postfix/whatever) to masquerade as any machine you'd like.

You can also set the local MTA to use a relay MTA, like exchange.  BUT,
what everyone is telling you is correct, SMTP is the transport protocol
for mail, and you need a local MTA (Mail Transport Agent) to speak SMTP to
another MTA for any mail to be, er, "exchanged".

Oh, and yes, Outlook acts as a local MTA for WinX machines, that's what
happens when you set an 'outbound' mail server...

Chris.