[Asterisk-Users] Planning Asterisk

Howard White howwhi at vcch.com
Sun Apr 25 17:15:44 MST 2004

Jay,
Your long awaited response to your planning questions :)

On Friday 23 April 2004 16:59, Jay Milk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to convert my phone system to Asterisk, as I've outgrown my
> TalkSwitch system.  I have a few questions for experienced * users, most
> of which can be answered yes/no.
>
> Current Setup:
> - Talkswitch 48NLS (4CO/8Ext) phone system.
> - One CO line, two Vonage lines, one Voicepulse line connected to phone
> system
> - A third Vonage line directly connected to a fax machine
> - A sipgate.de line connected through Port#2 of VoicePulse's Sipura to a
> stand-alone phone.
>
> Getting VoicePulse (recently) and finding sipgate.de pushed me over the
> 4-line limit of the Talkswitch PBX, plus there are some shortcomings to
> Talkswitch which I could, but don't want to live with.
>
> To get my CO and SIP lines connected I can:
> 1. Use a voice-modem as FXO?

This is discussed at considerable length in the archives, wiki ad nauseum.
Short answer, no.

> 2. Use a Digium X100P?  What's the advantage over using a voice-modem?

> 3. Set up * as a SIP client for VoicePulse and sipgate.de.  I could add
> lines via broadvoice.com and FWD?  And if I'm REALLY lucky, I could even
> convince Vonage to allow open access and connect directly?

Yes and no.  Sipgate.de, voicepulse, iconnecthere, FWD and others yes.
Vonage no.

> 4. Is anyone running an ATA186 into an FXO device?  Sound-quality?

It works fine, but I'm not keen on it either

> Are there multi-FXO cards, because I'm afraid I'll be running out of PCI
> slots.

Digium is closer than ever to having its FXO modules to put on the TDM400P.
Stay tuned to www.digium.com

> To get my extensions connected, I can:
> 1. Use a Digium TDM400P?
> 2. Use one ore more Sipuras?
> 3. Use any Software IP Phone?
> 4. Use any Hardware IP Phone?

All of the above and several others including T100Ps and channel banks

> TDM400P cost $75/port, while the Sipuras are only $50/port.  Is there an
> advantage to using the Digium?

The smart ass answer is Asterisk.

> Now once everything connected, it'll probably take me a while to get
> things configured.  I assume that I can do pretty much anything I want,
> just as long as I have access to the sources.  Can I:
>
> 1. Set up auto-attendants based on the incoming phone line?  Based on id
> of the caller?

Yes, requires some practice

> 2. Set up least-cost call routing?

We are configuring this for an international callback customer, now.

> 3. Have integrated dialing plans, such as --
>      1 xxx yyy nnnn = call outside line
>      011 .... = call internationally
>      * xxx = call extension xxx
>      # 4 xxx yyy nnnn = call using outside line #4
>      911 = call 911 using actual landline
>    (My wife needs to be able to use this too)

At the risk of being even more than too cute, yes.

> From some of your who have set up and are maintaining * PBXs, how
> difficult is it to get started for someone who doesn't do linux 8 hours
> a day (I'm a PC guy, but am maintaining a dedicated linux server for
> webhosting).

It is involved.  Mind you we, VCCH, are selling our services for just sucn a
situation.  We are delighted to teach as well as serve.

> What's the preferred linux distro for running Asterisk?  I have RH8 and
> RH9 here.

That will work fine and there are some documents hanging about to deal with a
variety of "RedHatisms".  We tend to use Mandrake (out of historical
preference).  All in all, we are completely agnostic, well except for FreeBSD
(drivers).

> I think that's all -- thanks in advance for your help & answers!
>
> -- Jay

And about your Adtrans 750 question.  The list has reported a series of issues
with same.  I have an Adtrans 750 in my house with both FXO and FXS cards.
The Adtrans is connected to Asterisk via T1 (T100P) and works great.  We did
have Digium help us tweak it so caller ID worked more reliably.

I would not connect Asterisk to a channel bank anyway but T1.

Howard White
president - VCCH, Inc.		[Digium reseller and consultancy]