[Asterisk-Users] Re: zaptel on Fedora (Core 1) RedHat Linux-2.4

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Sun Apr 25 07:07:53 MST 2004

In article <002401c4296c$542eda60$01010a0a at development.satish.com>,
Satish Kumar <satishkbg at vsnl.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have fresh installation of Fedora (Core 1) RedHat
> Linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl The kernel source is in place
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl The config file for the kernel is in
> place /boot/config-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
>
> As per zaptel instruction, i first created the kernel config file as
> follows: # cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl; make menuconfig
>
> (in the menu config window) I loaded the existing config file from
> /boot/config-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl Then i saved the new over it and exit (i
> didn't make any other changes in the settings of any device etc, simply
> loaded and saved).
>
> and then did # make dep (modversion.h file was created)
>
> I then tried to compile zaptel (zaptel-0.9.1.tar downloaded from ftp
> site) to get errors (see below) All errors are in the kernel.h (and
> others) file included in tor2.c

Did you install kernel sources from the kernel-source RPM or from a
vanilla kernel tree? If from a vanilla tree, remove it, and use the
kernel-sources RPM for Fedora. Otherwise, try rpm -e kernel-source
and then re-install the kernel-source RPM.

I'm pretty sure I didn't do the make menuconfig or make dep - it was
enough to have the sources in place. Also make sure the linux-2.4 symbolic
link in /usr/src is pointing to the correct tree.

Finally, although it doesn't seem to say this anywhere, kernel modules
must be built with the same compiler that the kernel gets built with. In
the case of fedora, you need to use gcc32. So the make command is:

make HOSTCC=gcc32

Hope this all helps!

Tony
--