[Asterisk-Users] Channel Bank - New * install

Tom tom at sdf.com
Sat Apr 24 00:32:27 MST 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> VoIP phones have the benefit of linear growth cost. A phone costs $X,
> and for the most part will cost $X no matter how many lines you roll
> out. So a new extension is just $X increase, and your system is just $X
> x N extensions to deploy. Also VoIP can be deployed pretty much
> anywhere.
>
> Analog has the benefit of cheaper phones, and what I consider a better
> service record. There isn't really a problem of what is and isn't
> supported, or supported to what extent. Draw backs are you can either
> deploy in multiples of 4 with the TDM400 or go T1 and deploy in
> multiples of 24. Either way, it makes the first step beyond the current
> block slightly expensive, but then the increment is a small amount till
> you fully deploy your current block.
>
> 24 Budgetones would be ~$1800(assuming you find them for $75 each).
> 24 analog AT&T phones, $1720(assuming a channel bank from ebay at $500
> and $30 phones).
>
> So you can see where the 25th phone goes back to the VoIP phones as the
> 25th phone on analog will run you another $1030 for the T1 port and
> channel bank.

  There are other factors too.

  VOIP phones will have useful diplays an additional buttons (transfer,
hold, etc.), plus usually have many call appearances.  In addition, VOIP
phones offload codec load off your * server, and come with an included
G.729a codec.  This might not be an issue for you if you use TDM in and
out, but if you have a VOIP gateway, VOIP phones start to look good.