[Asterisk-Users] Cisco phones

William J Mandra william.mandra at us.army.mil
Fri Apr 23 09:57:24 MST 2004

Well, After a lot of searching (and a few calls to Cisco) here is what I
came up with. When you buy a Cisco IP phone used in order to legally use it
you must first re-license the firmware through an authorized Cisco Provider.
Once you re-license the phone you can then get the service contract for
$8/year which entitles you to download the firmware updates. So even if the
phone came with SCCP firmware after re-licensing and purchasing a service
contract you can obtain the SIP firmware via download. But of course,
there's a catch, most Cisco Providers will not sell a Service Contract for
used equipment. The re-license fee is around $115.00, so depending on how
much you bought your used phone for it actually turns out to be cheaper to
buy the phones new. You cannot get a Service Contract for a used phone until
you re-license the software. When you go onto Cisco's website to locate a
provider near you make sure you choose "Advanced Search" and select "IP
Telephony Revised Specialization" from the drop down box, otherwise you will
most likely get a list of providers / resellers who are no longer in
business. Only the providers with the IP Telephony Revised Specialization
are authorized to re-license firmware and sell Service Contracts for Cisco
IP phones. In my case, I paid $185 + shipping for the phone, $115 for the
re-license & $8 for the Service Contract (a local provider was able to help
me out), total = $323. Instead I could have just purchased one brand new
from the Cisco provider for $350.00 + the service contract and been done
with it.

  Good luck,
    Bill