[Asterisk-Users] Interfacing with an existing phone system

Joel Duffield j.duffield at nearnorthbusiness.com
Fri Apr 23 06:15:11 MST 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 07:05 pm, Joel Duffield wrote:
> We want to use asterisk to extend our current phone system. It is a
> regular plain old system. Has anyone done this before?
Absolutely - in a lot of different ways.

> We would be
> adding about 4 SIP (probably Cisco) phones to use with asterisk. What
> kind of card will I need to use for this, FXS or FXO.
Neither of those types of cards.  You will need an ethernet
card/connection to
use a SIP phone.  Also, before you pay all that money for new phones,
you
could test/learn using asterisk with free softphones.

****
- Sorry I didn't ask this question very well, I meant how will I
interface with the existing phone system, It is an old system so really
the only way I have to connect to it is through putting asterisk in
place of a phone at an extension. Can I use the four port card? The
whole thing is a trial to convince the powers that be to switch the
whole system over to VOIP as the old system is on its last legs.
****

Anon

Thanks

Joel Duffield