[Asterisk-Users] Interfacing with an existing phone system

Joel Duffield j.duffield at nearnorthbusiness.com
Thu Apr 22 12:05:33 MST 2004

We want to use asterisk to extend our current phone system. It is a
regular plain old system. Has anyone done this before? We would be
adding about 4 SIP (probably Cisco) phones to use with asterisk. What
kind of card will I need to use for this, FXS or FXO.

Also does anyone have any ideas what the best way to go about this is,
should I just forward existing lines to specific phones (just to save on
running new telephone cabling) or would there be any simple ways to make
a small menu and just put one more layer before they get through?

Thanks

Joel Duffield
Near North Business Machines
www.NearNorthBusiness.com