[Asterisk-Users] Echo Cancellation Feature

Brent Franks mwless at mindworks.net
Thu Apr 22 11:37:18 MST 2004

I do feel the echo cancellation does need some work.

Currently, other than listening to users, there is no way to benchmark or
trouble shoot echo problems.

We find that 2 to 3 out of every 20 calls will experience echo.  While
echo is a problem that naturally occurs from SIP - PSTN and vice versa, I
am still baffled by the fact that the cancellation works randomly.

When doing a zap show channel X, it will also report that the cancellation
is still on.  We experience the most echo with a T100P --> Adtran TA 750
FXO modules.  While I understand these do not have impedence matching, I
wonder to myself why echo cancellation works sometimes, and others not.

Looking at Network util, processor util, and memory utilization, they do
not provide any clear indication as to why /when it occurs.

Is there anything more that can be done to debug echo cancellation, and
further are other users experiencing this random echo.  I know it was
discussed before, but the support folks at digium aren't able to offer
anymore help.

Asterisk is truly a great piece of open soruce software, and I commend the
authors/contributors for their hardware and attention to detail.

We're just a few items a way from making this thing absolutely kill the
traditional PBX market :).

Long live Asterisk,

Brent