[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940/7960 SIP functionality questions

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Wed Apr 21 12:54:38 MST 2004

On Apr 21, 2004, at 12:20 PM, David Carter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm considering using Asterisk with some type of Cisco phone, and
> currently
> considering either the 7940 or 7960 because of its more-complete
> functionality
> (compared to the 7905).
>
> I'm currently wondering:
>
> 	Do all the expected functions (transfer, conference, voice mail,
> message
> 	waiting indicator, etc.) work normally with Asterisk over SIP?

I've tested transfer, voicemail, and MWI.  Conference should work have
I haven't tested it.

> 	What caveats are known about using these phones with SIP, as opposed
> 	Cisco's proprietary SCCP?  If an SCCP module is available for
> Asterisk,
> 	how functional is it?

There are two SCCP modules, but I haven't heard about anyone using
7940/60s with SCCP and Asterisk.  The phone works very well with SIP.

> 	How customizable are the phone menus while using SIP (or if a SCCP
> 	module is available, using SCCP)?

To the best of my knowledge, the phone's internal menus aren't
customizable at all.  However, the 'services' button on the front panel
works just like a menu button and fetches XML content over HTTP.  You
can get a good overview of the syntax and possibilities from
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/vpdd/cdd/3_0/
phsvcdev.pdf

In addition to the service button, you can also change some of the
content reached from the directory button.  With SIP firmware v6.3,
there are 5 menus available from the directory button:

   missed calls
   incoming calls
   outgoing calls
   personal directory
   external directory

(I may have the wording and order slightly wrong, I'm not in front of
my phone right now).  The first 3 menus are built into the phone and
are maintained automatically.  You can copy names and numbers from
these three into the personal directory.  I assume that the personal
directory is limited to ~32 entries, but I haven't tested it.  Finally,
the external directory option fetches XML from a web server, just like
the services button.  You can use it to implement a shared phone
directory.

> Cisco doesn't seem to have much documentation online about using these
> phones
> in SIP mode, so if anyone is using these phones now, I'd appreciate
> hearing
> about your experiences.

Yeah, the documentation is kind of sparse.  Google can help.  Here are
a couple useful pages that I've tracked down:

http://www.cisco.com/global/FR/documents/pdfs/ciscotheque/
journee_developpeurs/
03_Cisco_CallManager_Version_3_3_IP_Phone_Services_nchrisso.pdf
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-voip/

Scott