[Asterisk-Users] Repeated Notice: (UN/REACHABLE)

Bisker, Scott (7805) sbisker at harvardgrp.com
Wed Apr 21 06:21:38 MST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of Adam
Goryachev
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 2:29 AM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Repeated Notice: (UN/REACHABLE)

Should this actually attempt more than a single ping before claiming the
remote is unreachable?
ie, one packet (out of the two - one request + one reply) might be lost
or intermittent congestion might be involved.

Perhaps a config option for setting number of consecutive ping requests
are un-responsive. Also, subsequent requests might be sooner than
otherwise queued.

ie, successfully answered probes are re-sent every 60 seconds, while
after an un-successful probe, we re-send the next probe in 10
seconds....

Just my 0.02c worth....

On a somewhat related note.  I was experiencing some random SIP UN/REACHABLE messages during random points during the day.  This would also come hand-in-hand with poor SIP call quality (jitters, stutters, etc).  Yesterday I was tryint to debug a choppy SIP phone and it just so happened that I was in my lab , and noticed that we were using Ghostcast server over multicast to send images to some new PCs.  On a whim, I cancelled the ghostcast session and the problem immediatly vanished.  Must be a misconfig on the switch (Cisco Cat 4500 with all copper 10/100/1000 ports ) cause the switch load was minimal, but somehow the multicast traffic was screwing with the SIP transmission over the wire.  Just something for other people to look for.

-sb