[Asterisk-Users] Intel 536ep as a FXO?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Apr 19 09:01:18 MST 2004

> I for one would love this.  I do not have any test equipment to
> determine the level I am sending at, but if I could at least figure out
> what levels to have my rxgain values set to, that would help.
>
> I remember seeing somewhere that you can use a program (part of the zt
> suite if I remember correctly) to view the audio levels on the FXO card
> like an on-screen vu meter.  I can use that and dial up my telco
> milliwatt test number and adjust accordingly.  I asked where that tool
> was on the IRC channel, but they seemed to not know either.  I have
> searched as I know I saw it, but can't find it again.

The tool you're looking for is /usr/src/zaptel/ztmonitor

[root at phoenix zaptel]# ./ztmonitor
Usage: ztmonitor <channel num> [-v] [-f FILE]

[root at phoenix zaptel]# ./ztmonitor 1 -v

Visual Audio Levels.
--------------------
 Use zapata.conf file to adjust the gains if needed.

( # = Audio Level  * = Max Audio Hit )
<----------------(RX)----------------> <----------------(TX)---------------->
 ##################*

Keep in mind that tool is nothing more then an audio VU meter and was
not intended to be an accurate means of measuring transmission levels.
I think bkw (probably with Mark) wrote it back in the November/December
timeframe as a simple tool for adjusting rxgain, etc. About that same
time, the echo cancelling mechanism (for the x100p) was rewritten to
"sense" the audio reflection (or echo) during the first half-second or
so of an initial pstn call. (That was a substantial improvement over
previous cancellation methods without a doubt. If I recall recorrectly,
that mechanism was reduced to sending an outbound short duration pulse
or burst, and measuring the reflected energy. Sort of a snapshot at the
start of an analog call. It's okay, but certainly not the equivalent
of commercial analog cancellation products including mux's.)

I've not had to revisit the x100p gain adjustment effort for several
months, but seems to me that it was necessary to completely stop and
start * each time an adjustment was made to the rxgain/txgain settings
in zapata.conf (a simple reload wasn't adequate).

Rich