[Asterisk-Users] strange problem with SIP/voicemail

Matthew Simpson matthew at symatec-computer.com
Mon Apr 19 00:29:20 MST 2004

I'm having a very strange problem I've been fighting with all day.  It's
2:30am, and I'm stuck.  I think the problem may lie with one of my SIP
providers, but I'm not sure.

I have two ways to call into my test Grandstream.  I can call a PSTN 360
area code number that will forward to my FWD number, which in turn is
registered with my * box on extension 2030.  If I call the 360 number,
everything works, my Grandstream rings, and if I don't answer, it goes to
voicemail and voicemail works.

I also have a PSTN 972 area code number that forwards directly to my * box.
If I call the 972 number, my Grandstream will ring, but if I don't answer,
it will give me silence for a bit, then I hear a click, my CLI interface
says that it is recording a message, but then it says:

Apr 19 02:21:20 WARNING[15373]: app_voicemail.c:1261 play_and_record: No
audio available on SIP/66.147.170.34-0811abe8??

Here is my exten map [actual phone number munged].  I have removed the
Grandstream from the exten for this example.  It makes no difference whether
the Grandstream gets rang or not:

exten => 9725551212,1,Answer
exten => 9725551212,2,Voicemail2(u1000)
exten => 9725551212,3,Hangup

Also, just for testing, I have added this extension:

exten => 2501,1,Voicemail2(u1000)
exten => 2501,2,Hangup

If I dial 2501 from my grandstream, voicemail works that way, too.

My questions:

1) Should I have the Answer in there or not?  It doesn't help to add or
remove it.  On the FWD number, I do not have an Answer.

2) I can get voicemail to work on the incoming 972 number if I change the
dialplan around and then do a restart gracefully.  Example:

exten => 9725551212,1,Answer
exten => 9725551212,2,Playback(transfer)
exten => 9725551212,3,Voicemail2(u1000)
exten => 9725551212,4,Hangup

It will work once, maybe twice, and then it won't work any more after that
until I fiddle with the dialplan again and do another restart.  On Saturday
when I thought I had all of this working, I dialed in at least ten times and
had no problems.

I originally was running a CVS from 03-14-04 now I am running 04-19-04, and
still have the same issue.

Anyone?