[Asterisk-Users] OpenPhone <-> Asterisk w/H.323

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Sun Apr 18 13:08:16 MST 2004

Hello-

In order to satisfy a customer requirement, I've just build H.323 under
asterisk (using the specified versions of OpenH323 & PWLib, and trying to
follow the instructions religiously), and it seems to have come up fine.
When testing with with OpenPhone (Windows version 1.8.1) and NetMeeting,
I've gotten some intermittent results however.  All my calls are from a PC
to asterisk - I don't have an outbound requirement.

If anyone has successfully made either of these combo's work, could you
please suggest some area where I may have gone wrong?

With OpenPhone:
When using MakeCall on OpenPhone, asterisk answers the call fine, even
though the OpenPhone display still shows "ringing" throughout the duration
of the call.  The audio (G7.11 uLaw) comes through the PC speaker fine.
When I issue Hangup on OpenPhone, asterisk most of the time does not get a
hang up signal, and comtinues to play until the timeout.  When dialing a
DTMF (out-of-band rfc2833) from OpenPhone, this works exactly once on
asterisk, and no further digits are seen by asterisk.

With NetMeeting:
On and off hook signalling is immediate, and seems to be fine.  Only about
one out of four calls produces audio through the PC speaker however.

So in summary, OpenPhone has reliable audio but signalling problems, and
NetMeeting has reliable signalling but flakey audio.

Any suggestions (please)?

Thanks!

Scott M. Stingel
President,