[Asterisk-Users] VOIP Spam

Tracy R Reed treed at copilotconsulting.com
Sat Apr 17 18:50:39 MST 2004

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 11:13:27AM +1000, Duane spake thusly:
> But have you ever met face to face with an employee from a CA and
> verified they were an employee or just grabbed the info from their
> website and assumed there was no man in the middle attack sending you an
> alternate key/fingerprint (yes I know this is highly unlikely however
> high profile targets would be possible at some point, how lucky do you
> feel? :)

No, I haven't. And you are right it is highly unlikely. Knowing that
someone was going to want to get a key signed, putting the bogus info
where they would find it, tricking someone into calling you and giving
them a bogus key, etc. is all very difficult. I think we are going to have
to give up the notion of 100% security and accept the very small chance
(orders of magnitude smaller than now) of someone being fooled if we ever
want to get this stuff deployed.

> If we make up some number, I have seen figures for websites can't seem
> to find them at present, anyways say a TLS/SSL operation uses 8x more
> CPU power then a non-TLS connection, this means if you are running a
> voip to pstn service or in an office environment with a large amount of
> handsets/calls you need 8x more servers or 8x less clients so there is
> definitely a cost involved there even if CPUs etc are cheaper...

Since most cpu's out there in the world spend 80% of their time idle doing
nothing anyway I don't think it would be quite this bad. :)

> As for hostname matching, you run an enum check on a phone number, it
> returns a URL... say iaxtel.com... you connect to it and it then says

Ah. I haven't given too much thought about how it interacts with phone
systems yet. I'll ponder this one.

> Umm just a side note, we have a working enum.164 website/dns (
> http://e164.org ) service that now does pstn verification (due
> diligence) by calling you and reading out a pin number, currently a
> little rough and we need a few IVR records (which will within the next
> few days), and need to update the documentation on the website, however
> it does seem to work reasonably well...

Very cool. I am reading up on this stuff.

> Most HTML emails have a non-html component as well, and the amount of
> people that dislike html emails I don't see this as a good comparison ;)

Indeed. It was just an example of the mail vendors successfully forcing
something on everyong.

> You can't enforce crypto from a MTA/MUA point of view, there is a whole
> bunch of complications if you force certificates on people like you'd
> have to get them a public/private key pair and then well it wouldn't be
> so private...

That is fine. The mail administrator can read everything they type into
the server anyhow. He can bug their keyboard if he wants.

> The reason they would is to beat the virus/spam filters currently in
> operation at a MTA level, they would be rendered useless, at present all
> you need is a valid email address to get a certificate issued from a CA
> with their root certificate in most/all current email clients...

I doubt they would because it would make spamming much more expensive.
Some might but it makes it much less likely and kills their profits which
removes the incentive.

--
Tracy Reed                     The attachment is a digital signature.
http://copilotconsulting.com   More info: http://copilotconsulting.com/sig