[Asterisk-Users] no sound when connected

Chris Orme chrisast at talisa.net
Sat Apr 17 08:27:52 MST 2004

I assume you've got masquerading working so other hosts inside this
network are ok ?

something like...

/usr/local/sbin/iptables -v -t nat -A POSTROUTING -i eth0 -o eth1 -j
MASQUERADE ?

Definitely sounds more network than asterisk.

How about trying to connect to IAXTEL (which uses IAX2 rather than SIP) to
an external box ?  IAX2 protocol not SIP.  IAX2 is easier to get through
NAT and firewalls than SIP as it's brilliantly designed to just use one
UDP port I think (4569).
You perhaps try other sip destinations incase it's something with FWD
specifically.

you'll also need to keep the connection open.

Here's an extract from my sip.conf as to how I connect to FWD.  It may
help.

I've also got allow=alaw allow=ulaw allow=gsm in the general section of my
sip.conf as recommended by voip-info.org

register=user:passw at fwd.pulver.com/2030

[fwd]
type=friend
accountcode=fwd
disallow=all
allow=alaw
allow=ulaw
allow=gsm
username=XXX
secret=XXX
host=fwd.pulver.com
qualify=10000

you may well need nat=yes or other options.  Also are you registering with
fwd ok?

you could also run 'sip debug' and 'sip show peers' 'sip show users' and
asterisk with -d and -vvvv options to try and see what is going on.
Ethereal is also a very useful application for debugging you might want
to try?

I would assume if you are reaching the correct extension then dtmf is ok.
You want the RFC /outband if you're using a lossy codec (ie not A/U law)

Maybe you could also trying to connect to FWD directly with the
grandstream ?

Anyone else any pointers on what he could try - someone must have this
setup ??  Good luck!  Have patience and experiment and you'll crack it :)
SIP+NAT do not make wonderful companions but it is possible for sure :)

Chris