[Asterisk-Users] no sound when connected

Chris Orme chrisast at talisa.net
Sat Apr 17 07:43:00 MST 2004

Very much sounds like a firewall issue not allowing voice packets back in
to you (for the received audio) or them not finding you somehow.

Think about how do you connect to the internet.  Perhaps 'it' (whatver
device it is doing firewalling/NAT) is configurable through its bios or a
web interface or by telnet or ssh.  Depends what 'it' is, but 'it' is
likely to be involved in the problem.

You didn't send info of your configuration as to which protocol IAX/SIP
you are using and how you are trying to connect so I can't give a
specific answer on how to help you.  Or I didn't read closely enough.

I guess it might be:

BT 102 -SIP-> Asterisk on local LAN w/PSTN access/zap cards -SIP??->
firewall/router -adsl?-> internet -SIP-> Asterisk (2)

But I don't know as you didn't say :-(

I know Asterisk went through time when things weren't easy with
Grandstream phones, I don't know what the current state of affairs are
and I guess it is all great now if it working now via your Zap.

www.voip-info.org or using google to search the archives of this list
might also help, especially if you search perhaps for the name of your
firewall or router and asterisk or something like one way audio?  This is
what I did when I started.

Also if you have available other SIP clients to try on your network and
some patience I'm certain this can be tracked down and sorted out.

It might even be something as simple as 'nat=yes' 'host=dynamic'. There
are lots of sample configs on www.voip-info.org as well as those supplied
by Asterisk to work through.  Slowly change options from the sample config
and with patience you get the hang of things :-)

Hope that helps a little.  Just trying to put something back for all those
that helped me.

Good luck.

Chris