[Asterisk-Users] T1 Line install.. (UK Muppet)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Apr 15 09:38:15 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 09:36, David Stubbs wrote:
> Hi all, Muppet from the UK asking for help

There is 2 sections here. One for channelized T1 and one for PRI. I'll
answer all questions, you choose which one you needed.

Channelized section.
> ============= Questionnaire Follows =================
> 1.  DS1 Facilities Required:
>
> - Superframe or Extended (ESF/SF)?

ESF

> - Line Coding (B8ZS,AMI,. Etc.)?

B8ZS

> - Number of DS1 facilities required?

This is your number of T1's. A DS0 is actual lines or channels.

> - Channel numbers used for this trunk group?

This is the DS0 question.

> 2.  Circuit Signaling  (DS0 or DS1 Signal):
>
> DSO Analog Line Trunk Interface
>     2 wire, 4 wire, (or "na", not applicable)?

If you are putting this into a T1 interface on a single or quad span
card, this is na.

> - Supervision
>     Loop Start, Ground Start, Reverse Battery, E & M
>     "DNIS - Dialed Number Identification service"
>     Not applicable with DS0 Analog Line trunks.

You will probably want E&M as you get good answer detection and hangup
detection and the easy ability to add DID info to it.

> DS1 Digital Signal : Digital Interface
> - Supervision
>     Loop Start, Ground Start, E & M

Odd question, would assume it is the same as above.

> - In-Band or Robbed Bit (E&M) signaling? (Y/N)

Robbed bit.

> - CO  Supplied Dial tone (Y/N)

If you want to call anywhere this would be a yes.

PRI section.
> DS1 Digital Signal:  ISDN PRI Only
>  - Primary Rate Interface (ISDN PRI)
>  - If multiple DS1s, Does the customer want
>    "Non-Facility Associated Signaling"? (NFAS) (Y/N)

I think this is a No, but I am not sure.

>    If No, Does the customer want One D-Channel per DS1,
>    or 1 D-Channels for all  DS1s.  How many D-Channels?

Currently you need one D channel per DS1 for digium hardware/software.

>    If NFAS=Yes,  Number of D-Channels Required  "TWO"
>
>  - (PRI ISDN Protocol)= example National PRI  (NIPRI)
>      NIPRI, NTNAPRI, U449PRI, U459PRI, N449PRI

National is good.

These are pretty easy and I'll skip as they would be specific to your
location and policy.
> 3.  Trunk Group Billing Telephone Number (10 digit):
>
> 4.  Trunk Group Originating Area Code for PBX
>
> 5.  Calling Scope (Basic, Basic+, Extended, Metro, Metro+)?
>
> 6.   Primary Interexchange Carrier (PIC)
>
> 7.  NPA/NXX Call Blocking ( 700, 900, 976)
>
> 8.  Trunk Group Directional call flow and Member numbering:
>         (If sub-grouped, select subgroup rollover)
>    - 2-Way,  1-Way Into PBX, or 1-Way Out of PBX
>    - Member Numbering (i.e. 0001 thru 0024)
>
> 9.  Trunk Member selection
>
> -  Selection for calls originating at the PBX toward the Central Office
> (CO)
>    Asending (ASEQ), Desending (DSEQ), Most Idle (MIDL), Least Idle
> (LIDL)
> -  Selection for calls terminating to the PBX  from the Central Office
> (CO)
>    Asending (ASEQ), Desending (DSEQ), Most Idle (MIDL), Least Idle
> (LIDL)

These 2 questions aren't really important. While we where on MCI we used
least idle, now on Telcove I think it is asending. I think asending is
normal for most analog groups.

> 10.  Direct Inward Dial to PBX - DID (Y/N):
> - Number or Number Blocks routed toward PBX (i.e. 972-668-20xx)
> - Porting Coordination Required (Y/N)?
> - Number of digits to outpulse (None, 4, 7, 10 digits) to PBX?

This will probably be a yes, and the number of blocks is per what you
need. Whether you need 4,7, or 10 digits depends on how many digits you
will need to unique. On a PRI a 10 digit outpulse is fine, but you
wouldn't want it if it was on a channelized T1 because of the length of
time to connect.

> 11.  Inband Ringing required from the CO when terminating calls to PBX
> (Y/N)?

In the US where you will probably get all your incoming calls free, and
the majority of callers won't notice the extra few seconds of billable
time, you can say no here and just answer the call right away. If you
where porting it somewhere else and didn't want to actually answer the
line to a human was ready to talk, then say yes.

Back to channelized T1.
> 12.  NON-PRI DS1Switching - Start Signaling and Digit Pulsing for
> In-Band
>         Signaling for NON-PRI DS1:
> - CO Incoming Start Signaling for calls originating at the PBX
> (ISTARTSG)
>         Start Signal expected by the PBX, sent by the CO telling the
>         PBX to begin sending digits to the CO for collection.
>         - Wink Start, Delay Dial, Immediate Dial, Dialtone, Loop Start,
>                 Grd Start

Wink if you are doing DID lines. Otherwise it depends on the supervision
you can get on each of the signaling support.

> - CO Incoming Digit Pulsing for calls originating at the PBX (IPULSTYP)
>         Type of digits sent from the PBX to CO after the PBX
>         receives the start signal (ISTARTSG) from the CO
>         - Dial Pulse, DT/ DTMF, MF, NP/No Pulsing

DTMF

> - CO Outgoing Start Signaling for calls terminating to the PBX
> (OSTARTSG)
>         Start Signal expected by the CO, sent by the PBX telling the
>         CO to begin sending digits to the PBX for collection.
>         - Wink Start, Immediate Dial, Delay Dial, Loop Start, Grd Start

Probably Immediate, wink if they let you outpulse your intended callerid
string.

> - CO Outgoing Digit Pulsing for calls terminating to the PBX (OPULSTYP)
>         Type of digits sent from the CO to the PBX after the CO
> receives
>         the start signal (OSTARTSG) fom the PBX
>         - Dial Pulse, DT/ DTMF, MF, NP/No Pulsing

DTMF

> 13. Manufacturer & Model of PBX.
>         *** I know this One :o) ***

Jeeesh, way to much here.