[Asterisk-Users] How many lines of IP phone can Asterisk support?

Anon asterisk_user at tarottoni.com
Thu Apr 15 08:49:36 MST 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 01:44 am, PTCHEN wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am an Asterisk beginer and are using it. Now I have 1 question, please !
>
> How many lines of IP phone  can Asterisk support, if we use only IP
> interface?
>

> Chunghwa Telecom BTA Tech. Lab.
> E-mail:ptchen at cht.com.tw
That will depend on many factors:
-  How fast is your Asterisk box?
-  How much memory your asterisk box has
-  How fast your ethernet card is
-  How fast your Internet connection is (bandwidth)
-  Which codec(s) you decide to use
-  What other programs/services you are running on the Asterisk box

I think it is safe to say that if you have a decent, relatively new computer
to run Asterisk on, you will find it able to support a large
number of VoIP connections.

Based on bandwidth alone, if you have a 640K Internet connection
and your codec uses 8K, you could have at least 70 simultaneous
connections. (If I am poking my head up my butt on this one,
please correct me).

Anon