[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk, GalaxyVoice and Humble Pie

Mark Phillips kc2eni at nyc-ares.org
Wed Apr 14 10:23:21 MST 2004

Hi all,

Firstly I need to apologise for some comments I made regarding GalaxyVoice
and their service/abilities. Having opened another dialog with them they
were more than willing to help out and tollerate abuse of their system
whilst testing.

Secondly I'd like to thank my anonymous friend without whom I would have
never been able to get this going.

Thirdly, I GOT IT TO WORK!! Below is the relevant details. If you have an
account with them replace the words in CAPS with your details then reload.
I'm not gonna gayrantee it works on everyone's system but if yours looks
like mine and is behind a cheap SMC type home firewall it should. I have
ports 4369, 5000-5100 and 10000-10100 pointing to my * server at home.

Would someone please add this to the WIKI as I can't be bothered to open
an account.

OK enough with the waffle, gimme the stuff.

In /etc/asterisk/sip.conf place the following statements;

register => PHONENUMBER:PASSWORD:USERNAME at 216.229.127.40/EXTENSION

[galaxyvoice]
nat=yes
externip=EXTERNAL_IP_OR_HOSTNAME           ; external address of NAT gateway
port=5060
fromuser=PHONENUMBER
fromdomain=216.229.127.40
username=USERNAME
type=friend
secret=PASSWORD
auth=md5
host=216.229.127.40
defaultip=216.229.127.40
reinvite=no
canreinvite=no
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=intern
qualify=1000
disallow=all
allow=gsm
allow=ulaw

They support g.729, g.711u, GSM and probably others too but I didn;t try
them.

In /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf place the following statements;

[galaxyvoice]
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@galaxyvoice)
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,2,Congestion

That's all folks!!

I still can't make the DTMF work right but I think that's an issue they
have as I can't get it to work with the Grandstream they supplied me
either. I've spoken to them about this and they are looking into it just
to make sure its not an issue with them.

Things to try;

Send and receive a fax. In theory using g.711u one should be able to do
this with no problem. I'll try that when I get home

Make more than one phone call at the same time. Again this should work
because GV supports 3-way calling. This would be usefull as when the
handsets are littered all over the house both me and my wife could be
wanting to use the phone at the same time.

Make and receive a call at the same time. Again, should be possible with
GV's call waiting feature.

Changing the Caller*ID info. It would be nice to be able to say that the
call you get from me was from my study phone and not the kitchen phone. I
can send this data ad-hoc but will GV forward it out to the end point?

Call users within the GV network and possible other GV users with an *
server.

OK; now its time for the advertisment. $20 a month for all you can eat US
and Canada with a local inbound phone number (although not your existing
one; yet). No contract or minimum term. Bring your own or buy theirs. They
have Humans on the end of the phone too!! None of this emailing support
crap. http://www.galaxyvoice.com. Say the British guy sent you.

Enough for now

G7LTT/KC2ENI
Mark Phillips