[Asterisk-Users] Re: Voicemail storage in DB

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Tue Apr 13 22:17:07 MST 2004

Matt White wrote:
> James H. Thompson wrote:
>
>> Would it make any sense to store the voice mail formatted as a email
>> msg in a Maildir directory
>> structure.
>> Then you could also retreive them with an email client.
>

> As an extension of this thought, how about going one step further
> and storing the voicemail on an imap server directly?  It would
> remove the whole storage question and allow storing on a remote
> system.  The tools in the WU-IMAP c-client package would be
> pretty useful...

Two of my students are working on this very project right now.

Some thoughts/caveats:

One design constraint that is mostly enforced in the asterisk code is
that it run standalone (I think the mpg123 dependency is the sole
exception) and there was very strong sentiment that anything we do NOT
require the installation of a whole IMAP suite.  So that complicates
things somewhere between a little and a lot.  Basically the task is to
design a maildir type entity that can be completely manipulated within
the asterisk application itself.

We're still not coding it heavily, but my sense is that the real gotcha
is going to lie in the IVR access routines.  They'll have to be mapped
into IMAP-space, as I see things right now, and in looking at the code
that's already there, that isn't going to be a trivial thing.

There is also the split between the UW orientation (keep the files in
the maildir owned by the user they're sent to) and the cyrus orientation
(lock down the IMAP store and require all access to pass through a
server agent).

I think the maildir approach is the Correct One, but the path thither
appears to be a least minorly studded with complexity.

My HO, of course.

Thx.

B.