[Asterisk-Users] Re: Voicemail storage in DB

Tracy R Reed treed at copilotconsulting.com
Tue Apr 13 21:44:36 MST 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 02:19:23PM -0400, James H. Cloos Jr. spake thusly:
> Yes, there would be.  This is the same issue as using nfs mail spools
> with maildir style storage.  W/o locking there is no way to guarantee
> that two servers do not create the same vm file on top of one another.

The Maildir algorithm ensures unique filenames thus no locking is needed.
It is safe to use Maildir over NFS.

However, I don't understand why one would want to store the voicemails in
a db anyway. A filesystem is a special case of a database designed to do
just this. Store a pointer to the file in the db if you have to.

--
Tracy Reed                     The attachment is a digital signature.
http://copilotconsulting.com   More info: http://copilotconsulting.com/sig