[Asterisk-Users] CallerID in Australia

Vic Cross vicc at veejoe.com.au
Tue Apr 13 07:52:53 MST 2004

G'day Adam,

This drove me nuts for a few days just recently (only fixed it yesterday
in fact, and I've not had a chance to update any doco anywhere yet).

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Adam Goryachev wrote:

> Actually, now that I look at the file again, I can also see:
> Line: 80
> /* Typically, how many rings before we should send Caller*ID */
> #define DEFAULT_CIDRINGS 1

Yes, that's one of the changes.  Change this to

#define DEFAULT_CIDRINGS 2

> I am in Australia, which I think expects callerid at a different time to
> other countries.... Although other people have told me callerid is
> working correctly for them....

You're right, our callerid must wait a little longer after the first ring
burst (but otherwise is US Bellcore FSK).

In callerid.c, on or about line 467, change the value 4000 to 5600 [1].
Recompile, reinstall, shutdown and restart.

I have one phone here that works with standard Asterisk, so when another
phone did not work I thought it was the phone.  Then a third phone did not
work, so I started looking for the problem.  I think that early phones
were built to the US standard, and so will work with US callerid, but the
Australian standard was changed later so newer phones need the callerid
data to arrive later.

Cheers,
Vic Cross

[1] 5600 gives you 700ms, which is the time implied by a callerid test
program I found.  I did not want to pay $40 to get a copy of the
Australian standard (especially since I can get commentary about the
Bellcore standard off the Net), so I don't know exactly what it's supposed
to be, but 700ms works for me.