[Asterisk-Users] T100P Timing Was:T100P/ ZAP / PRI errors

willy at yponeinc.com willy at yponeinc.com
Tue Apr 13 04:58:01 MST 2004

Don & others,
Thank you for your answer. The fog maybe lifting ;).
The zaptel.conf file has the following in its comments:
#
# The timing parameter determines the selection of primary,
secondary, and
# so on sync sources.  If this span should be considered a
primary sync
# source, then give it a value of "1".  For a secondary, use
"2", and so on.
# To not use this as a sync source, just use "0"
#
You stated:

> In this case you want to use loop timing (use the T1 as a
> sync source) so,
>
> span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs

I have no reason to doubt what you wrote, so I already
changed the timing parameter for my system ;).  I did have
it set as span=1,0,0, ... Now, please, in what scenario
would one select option '0' and win what scenario would one
use option '2'?
I guess what gets me confused is the terminology 'primary
sync source' and 'span'. The way I read it is span ===
digium card.  If we are taking timing from the Telco, then
the digium card should slave from the Telco and cannot
therefore be a primary sync source (for the loop), so I had
it set at '0'.  After your explanation, it now sounds like
we are talking about timing for the BOX, not the loop.
Therefore, the LOOP is the Primary Source for the BOX, hence
use '1'.  If we are generating the loop (fxs role) then
there is no Telco to slave off, and the BOX should take its
timing from the CARD hence select '0'.  If this reasoning is
correct, then when would one reasonably use '2' and even '3'
etc.
Sorry to be a pest about this.
WW

Willy Wouters