[Asterisk-Users] Woodpeckers Revisited

Jayson Vantuyl kagato at chaosium.net
Tue Apr 13 06:28:10 MST 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 08:39:53AM -0600, Michael Welter wrote:
> However, when I put this stair-stepped signal to the channel bank, it
> converts it back into a digital signal.  I'm thinking that, because it's
> not a smoothed signal, the analog-to-digital process injects hum and
> buz.  Does _anyone_ have more information on this?
This doesn't sound like the way that sampling errors usually work.  They
definitely aren't usually so consistent.  If it were a sampling error,
you may be able to smooth the signal by placing a capacitor in parallel
with the unit doing the sampling.

Have you checked the ground on your channel bank?  Ground loops
generally can pick up buz from power sources in other audio setups.
While I would think that a phone setup wouldn't have this sort of
problem, it may be worth checking.  Does the buz sound like 60hz noise?
If so, I'd look for some sort of power-related problem.

Good luck.

--
Jayson