[Asterisk-Users] X100P and NTL (ex Cable + Wireless)

Alex Brett alex.brett at loho.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 17:19:25 MST 2004

Firstly, let me just say I am new to asterisk and if anything I've said
is covered in an FAQ or in previous posts I apologise but I have tried
searching and I've attempted a few of the things I found but they didn't
help.

Has anybody got any experience using an X100P on an NTL phone line in
the UK (I'm in an ex Cable & Wireless area if that makes any difference).

The problem I'm having (and judging by the number of references to it
I've found searching it is a common one) is getting * to detect when the
line has been hung up.  It doesn't matter if it comes through to a
person directly as they can just hang that phone up, but when it hits
voicemail, and it sits there for two minutes recording an empty message,
and then emails it to the person it can be a bit annoying!

There are a couple of possible things that I realize could be causing
it, the most major being that the phone wiring to the port that asterisk
is plugged into is a bit dodgy and I think there is a fair amount of
interference which I suspect could be annoying it a bit.

The other possible problem is that when someone hangs up, the tone that
comes down the phone line to indicate that it has been hung up lasts for
about 4 seconds, and then the line just goes silent - would this mean
that the busy detect mechanism would not detect that it has been hung up?

Thanks in advance,
Alex Brett
alex.brett at loho.co.uk
+44 (0)870 744 2170