[Asterisk-Users] Re: Voicemail storage in DB

James H. Cloos Jr. cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Apr 12 11:19:23 MST 2004

>>>>> "WipeOut" == WipeOut  <wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net> writes:

WipeOut> Have you thought of mounting the spool directolr on an NFS
WipeOut> file server ... [I am] not sure if there would be any file
WipeOut> locking issues..

Yes, there would be.  This is the same issue as using nfs mail spools
with maildir style storage.  W/o locking there is no way to guarantee
that two servers do not create the same vm file on top of one another.

The best bet for the OP is to write support for storing the files
into the sql db.  I'd suggest using two tables: one will have the
metadata (timestamp, to, from, a seq id, et al) and the 2nd would
have an index that is the seq id from the 2st table & a blob that
contains the audio data.

Separating them like that provides for better optimization by
the dbm, whether that is mysql, pgsql (my preference), ibmdb2,
firebird, oracle or whatever.

I'd extimate the code would take just a few hours to write
and debug.  Surely less than a coder-week.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos at jhcloos.com> <http://jhcloos.com>