[Asterisk-Users] Lucent Phones

Gregory Junker gregory.junker at shockwaveaudio.com
Mon Apr 12 08:48:39 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 11:28 -0400, Troy Settle wrote:
> At this point, I'm using straight Asterisk, with a a PSTN gateway at a data
> POP passing calls via IAX to my PBX here in the office.

Who is the PSTN gateway provider?

The only CLEC around here that is seriously considering any sort of VoIP
commercial service is Time Warner Telecom (TWTC), our current telecom
provider, and I have no details on what they are considering. If
VoicePulse had a reason to offer PSTN local exchange service in this
area I'd drop TWTC like a bad habit...I'd then settle for the Cincinnati
Bell DSL or some other form of lower-cost business-class broadband for
IP data access.

> FWIW, you should be able to completely eliminate the Connectreach and bring
> your T1 directly into *.  You just need to find out what channels on the T1
> are used for voice, and which are used for data.  Using a T400 or TE405, you
> can cross connect the data channels out to another T1 to go into your
> router.

TWTC has examined the T100P and informed me that it's impossible, since
their IBL uses proprietary formatting and signalling. Also, I ought to
be able to use the data channels directly, according to Digium, since my
proposed Asterisk box is also our router.

If they are lying to me (which I doubt...they have a vested interest in
using a proprietary method), then as for finding out which channels are
used for what is as simple as trial-and-error and a cell phone. ;) (and
of course, the $400 or so to pick up a T100P to try it out...) I am
guessing first four are voice and next 12 are data.

Thanks!
Greg