[Asterisk-Users] Re: Analogue telephone cards for the UK

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Sat Apr 10 09:19:41 MST 2004

--On Saturday, April 10, 2004 11:55:26 +0100 Paul Tyreman
<paul at tyreman.org.uk> wrote:

> What I want to do is have the asterisk server sat in my house and used by
> my family to access the BT landline and to recieve calls made to that
> landline.  If it is not possible to do the auto attendant thing then so
> be it, I will just have all phones in my house ring when a call is made
> on the BT line.  That should be easy, right ?

.. yes, this is what I have for my SOHO setup.

> In addition to running the server just for my house, I want to have other
> memebers of my extended family link up to the server via their broadband
> connections so we can make free calls to each other over the internet
> connections.

... looks like a case for SIP or IAX clients.

> What I don't want is for other members of my family (who are not resident
> in my house) to be able to make calls on my BT landline, but I do want
> them to be able to make unlimited calls to other extentions on the
> asterisk server.

... they need to be in a context that has no access to Dial commands that
target the X100P.

> Since I already pay monthly for broadband, I am not very keen to start
> paying more for an IDSN line which will only be used for this project.  I
> don't use / need caller ID on external calls, so thats not an issue.
> Does that all make sence ?

.... yes - first choose the type of client your extended family will use.
Then create an appropriate iax.conf or sip.conf and include entries for all
authorised users.  Create contexts for 'local' and 'extended-family"  users
in  extensions.conf.   Assign users to either context as appropriate in
sip.conf or iax.conf.  Assign extensions numbers, set up Dial commands  etc
...   Most is explained in the asterisk manual or on the VoIP wiki.

  Iain