[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Issues => SIP won't stay connected, and IAX Unable to Create Channel

Robert Jackson RobertJ at promedicalinc.com
Sat Apr 10 07:24:31 MST 2004

I am terribly sorry to bother the list with such generic and bizarre
problems, but I have been racking my brain with these for the last week
working on it for at least 60 hours.  If anyone can even point me in the
right direction I would be eternally grateful.  So without further adu
here are my woes:

I have * (2004-04-09 CVS) running on a P4 1.6Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM, Debian
"Sarge", and basically no other programs (Other than the required ones
of course).  My SIP clients are 2 Win2000 machines running X-Lite, and 2
grand stream budgettone 101's.  All iptables default rules are set allow
and no other rules are entered.  The whole setup is a proof of concept
so that we can migrate our 25 agent call center app to *.

When I reboot the computer running * and run * via asterisk -vvvvgc
everything starts without any warnings, notices, or errors.  At that
point none of my SIP clients login to *.  If I do a sip debug it doesn't
even show the clients trying to connect, however on the X-Lite logs it
is sending the REGISTER message to the correct IP address.  If I ping
the client's IP address from the * server the client immediately
registers and can make calls.  If I stop pinging for at least 30 minutes
the clients are again unable to connect.  Upon discovering this I
thought that I had a physical network problem.  So I went out and got a
brand new 10/100 switch, and new network cards for the server and the PC
based clients.  After installing and configuring all the new equipment I
am in the same boat.  I simply cannot understand what is going on.  All
of the machines are on a local address scheme without any NAT's or other
firewalls in between.

The next problem that I have has to do with IAX.  I have accounts setup
with both NuFone, and VoicePulse just to try out the various services.
I have my iax.conf configure as instructed by both the wiki and from the
providers.  I also have a DID from VoicePulse so I have a register line
for that as well.  After I reboot the * server, run *, and ping the
clients both provider's work properly.  However after a certain period
of time(variable length) the register times out and VoicePulse becomes
"UNREACHABLE".  The same goes for the NuFone service.  When this happens
occasionally I get a message on the console that says "Unable to create
channel".

I am completely at a loss.  Again I apologize for wasting your valuable
time, but I couldn't find anything that helped me either on the wiki or
the list.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Jackson