[Asterisk-Users] small linux distro to run * in old boxes

Jon Myers joeshmo at infoblvd.net
Fri Apr 9 17:36:30 MST 2004

At 08:01 PM 4/9/2004 +0100, Robb wrote:

>I'm currently working in a Linux Distro, it is  being internal alpha
>The first to note is  Its currently a 28Mb ISO for installation with
>asterisk installed with zaptel, and lib pri
>
>this includes apache perl PHP, and Mysql

Is there anything in apache thats actually NEEDED?  Perhaps a nice straight forward "boa" web server can be used?  It would also be nice to have a super scaled down dedicated box that would rely on a 2nd box for the database, web support, and such, thus you're fully dedicating the machine to just *.  I guess it depends how many phones you want to run, and how streamlined the machine/os needs to be.

As a side note, I've used "MeshAP", which is a wireless mesh server box that runs on a small scaled down linux distro.  It has X, web browser, webcam server, and a bunch of networking type stuff, and it is around 28 meg as well.  You can actually boot from CD, and a unique ID derived from the machine, and the box gets it config via http, and runs without needing write access to the drive.

Too bad theres not alot of hardware support for FreeBSD, we'd probably just need a couple of megs.  A "fully functioning" base system would only be 1.44 meg.

- - -   Jon