[Asterisk-Users] application Directory (Modified by Ryan Thrash)

Ryan Thrash rthrash at studiovertex.com
Fri Apr 9 10:24:10 MST 2004

On Apr 9, 2004, at 9:52 AM, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> On Thursday 08 April 2004 22:41, Ryan Thrash wrote:
>> Scenario: a person selects an Auto Attendant option that fires off
>> the Directory application (CVS circa 3/22). Three questions:
>>
>> 1) How do they escape if they didn't mean to go there in the first
>> place (without having to hang up...)? Config of entry into the
>> vertex directory below:
>
> If you just wait, Directory will exit if there is no entry.

Ah! So it does in fact. Thanks! Many people get impatient and start
getting button-happy, often hanging up in frustration. Time to record a
new message with instructions for the escape hatch!

>> 2) Why is there a five second pause before the directory instructions
>> start?
>
> Probably because you have another extension that begins with 1.
> Since Asterisk has no other way to know if the extension is complete,
> it waits DigitTimeout seconds (defaults to 5).

And again, you are correct, sir. Internal extensions start at 100.
Thanks. Time to re-record  the message and assign new extensions for
the prompts.

>> 3) Why no option for first name (without recording your own custom
>> message and reversing names in voicemail.conf)?
>
> Just wasn't written that way.  You're welcome to submit a patch to add
> first name matching on the bugtracker (bugs.digium.com).

Just signed up on Mantis today. Not being a coder, I'll see if I can
poke around and get something to work with some help of some local
friends that do have a clue.

Again, thanks for your helpful response. : )

rt