[Asterisk-Users] Local Calling Area database?

Steven Sokol ssokol at sokol-associates.com
Thu Apr 8 12:00:20 MST 2004

> Is there an easy way to get information about local calling areas out
> of telcos?  I'm trying to get a list of area codes and prefixes in my
> local calling area out of Verizon, and it looks like they've stopped
> providing the information online.  Is there an easy source that I'm
> missing, or do I need to call them and have them mail me a copy every
> few months?

No.  I actually filed a complaint with my ILEC, my PUC and with the FCC, all
to no avail.  The response was universally "You can purchase that
information from a number of 3rd party sources." Which generally meant
TelCordia (evil Belcore) who charges insane amounts for the information.

<rant>If you find a source for this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  Personally I think
it should be criminal for them NOT to provide anybody who asks with a list
of what is and is not local.  You should be able to ask, in an automated
way, before each call.</rant>

-S