[Asterisk-Users] dreaded Caller*ID failed checksum

Jeremy Hall jeremyhall at mpccorp.com
Thu Apr 8 07:03:22 MST 2004

Jeff,

I see the same thing on my FXO card, but it is an Intel modem, not a
true Digium X100P.  I suspected it was my card, but if you are seeing it
on a true card, maybe there is hope for mine yet.  I haven't had time to
troubleshoot yet as I have been having too much fun playing with other
features.

Let us know if you find the solution, and I will do the same if I get
mine working.  I am hoping to be able to do some work on it this weekend
to try and see what is going on.  In my case I have several other phones
plugged into the line as I don't have any FXS ports yet, so eliminating
them was going to be one of my first steps.  The jack that my * server
is attached to is CAT5 run directly from the telco access box.

Aside from being a software decoding error or a telco sending error, my
first suspects are line noise on the cabling from other devices or
devices near the phone cabling.  Electrical noise introduced into the
signal inside the asterisk system is another failure point I want to try
to eliminate.

As a last resort, I was thinking of throwing that modem into my Windows
PC and loading the drivers and software for it and see if CallerID works
in that mode.  I don't know if Windows would be able to load modem
drivers for the Digium card or not, but that is another idea for you to
try.  These cards are basically glorified sound cards that attach to a
telephone line, so if the Windows software can correctly read the
signal, that would maybe point it in the software or driver area.  If
that turns out to be the case, I may be forced to go ahead and get an
actual Digium card sooner than I anticipated in order to prove the
theory.

Regards,

Jeremy