[Asterisk-Users] Lucent Phones

Steven Sokol ssokol at sokol-associates.com
Wed Apr 7 15:46:48 MST 2004

> On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 15:44 -0500, Eric Wieling wrote:
> > Don't expect the fancy function buttons to
> > work, however.
> >

> That's specifically what I was asking about...
>
> Has anyone tried to decipher the ETR signaling protocol? Or is it such a
> closely guarded Lucent/Avaya secret as to make the formula for Coca-Cola
> look like an open-source recipe?

ETR (Enhanced Tip/Ring) supposedly uses some variety of serial protocol over
two lines to provide the screen functionality.  The voice channel is still
POTS.  These phones are sold with the Partner system and can be added to the
Magix systems using an ETR blade.

Here in the states we could be jailed for trying to reverse engineer the
serial display protocol (at least, in theory -- I don't know if it's been
tested yet) as a violation of the evil DCMA.

Anybody know about the other core Avaya protocols: specifically DCP and its
cousin TDL.  DCP (Digital Communications Protocol) has been used for years
on the Definity line.  Somewhere in the mid 1990s they cut it from 4 wires
to two wires.  The two wire version was ported to the Merlin Magix platform
and is called "TDL" which I have been told means "Two wire DigitaL"??

If you have a large investment in the Avaya sets, it might be nice to have a
bridge device to convert to SIP or H323 or whatever.  I saw somebody at VON
who offered a device that they claimed did just that.  Don't remember who
just now.

Regs,

-S