[Asterisk-Users] Problems with ADIT 600 - latency, loss, etc

Ralph Forsythe rf-list at centerone.com
Wed Apr 7 15:46:06 MST 2004

I'm emailing this as the customer in this case, since my carrier appears
to be completely unable to solve this.  A brief rundown of the problem:
- We have several voice lines going through the ADIT, of course into a
VoIP type of arrangement.
- Voice traffic will become choppy, even drop calls completely, at random
but quite often.  Modem calls (which we needed unfortunately) are a joke.
- Packet latency on the data side will be fine one minute, then high the
next.  As I type this email through an ssh session into my server there, I
hit keys and wait for them to appear.  This is odd for a T1 in my opinion.

Now, the carrier has replaced the hardware (breaking it twice in the
process, leaving me to wonder how much of this they understand) and
installed the latest hardware revision supposedly.  They are claiming that
high data usage is causing the voice issue.  I don't buy it, and here's
why:
- The ADIT is designed to handle both and prioritize voice over data.
This therefore has to use the assumption that no matter what, data will
attempt to run at full speed, and the ADIT will throttle it back as
necessary.  The carrier claims that using data at high speed will overload
the CPU causing dropped calls.  Computers connect at 100mbit ethernet -
unsure what he wants me to do here.  I call BS on this one, and in fact
did, with silence as the response.
- I have enabled packet queueing in my firewall, with a max outbound
badnwidth of the T1 speed.  This enables me to also monitor my realtime
usage in 5 second polls.  While pushing out around 300kbit (on a T1), the
voice call I was on was choppy, and I had packet latency.  1.5Mbit or
300kbit seems to yield the same results.
- It happens consistently, even in low-usage times.  My websites are dead
at midnight, but phone calls still suck.
- My firewall now prioritizes all of my ssh traffic above anything else,
meaning that even if I was pushing out full speed ahead, that traffic gets
top priority - so, there should be no delay whatsoever.

I have suggested a check of the physical line.  The technicians coming out
only seem to be able to console into the ADIT and break it, and apparently
our idea that a simple BER test on the line might enlighten them has not
been welcomed.  Am I off-base here?  Is there some setting or other check
that can be done in the ADIT?  I'd like to see the physical T1 validated
but am becoming increasingly concerned that no one at this company knows
how to do it (I'm hoping I don't need to bring in a Tberd and have them
loop it, so I can do their job for them).

I found something on here about the T1 slipping and/or getting bipolar
violations.  What else can I have these guys check?

Thanks
- Ralph
Rather annoyed ADIT user who thinks it's perhaps not the box's fault...