[Asterisk-Users] Software to test a LAN for possible VoIP Install

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Apr 6 19:32:29 MST 2004

> Does anyone know of any opensource or inexpensive software that can test a
> network for a possible VoIP installation?
>
> I have seen Chariot by NetIQ, but it is very costly!
>
> I am envisioning two or three "client" devices that talk to a server device.
> Each client could simulate 1-100 VoIP phone calls.  The server module would
> monitor the QOS, jitter, etc., and provide some kind of score.

Matt,

One of the primary disruptions for VoIP (from any company) is discarded
and/or delayed packets. You don't need expensive test equipment to determine
if a customer's network is dropping packets. Just go do a full network
discovery and a baseline that includes the primary business hours, and
look at the stats.

On the other hand, my wife and I have been talking about another trip to
your area. Maybe I can help???

Rich