[Asterisk-Users] SIP G.723.1 G.729 Asterisk Passthrough

Linus Surguy linus at magrathea-telecom.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 12:21:32 MST 2004

> Ok, I give up! I've tried all the suggestions that I can find to make this
> work, but it still doesnt. We are trying to send calls using G723.1 from a
> Cisco AS5300, via Asterisk to Cisco ATA-186 (and similar) devices.

To follow up my own post, I have now got this to work. It would appear that
the key action that has to be taken is to place allow=G723.1 at the top of
the list of codecs in the general section, i.e.:

[general]
port = 5060                     ; Port to bind to
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0              ; Address to bind to
context = default               ; Default for incoming calls
tos=lowdelay
disallow=all
allow=G723.1
allow=alaw
allow=ulaw
allow=gsm

Place it anywhere else, and it doesnt work - dropping the call immediately
it answers. It doesnt appear to be required to actually mention the codec
anywhere else in any other section.

Now, the problem is that I don't want to answer any other [inward] call and
present G723.1 as an option, but of course with it in the general section,
this is exactly what I've specified! Any ideas how to get out of this one!?

Linus