[Asterisk-Users] Connecting two branch offices using * and Mediatrix

Rana Dutt rdutt at softelinc.com
Mon Apr 5 19:02:59 MST 2004

Suppose a company has a U.S. office and a foreign office, and would like to
make toll-free calls using IP between the offices. The U.S office will have
an Asterisk system, but the foreign office has a large legacy PBX that they
want to keep.

One way to do this is to install a Mediatrix FXO gateway at the foreign
office. This gateway could be connected to a couple of unused tip/ring
station ports on the legacy PBX system. I assume that when the Mediatrix
registers with Asterisk, it does so as a single SIP endpoint. Suppose this
endpoint is SIP/mediatrix, and my extensions.conf routes all extensions
beginning with 4 to SIP/mediatrix, like this:

exten => _4XXX, Dial(SIP/mediatrix,15)

When I dial such an extension from the U.S. office, presumably the Mediatrix
at the foreign office will intercept the call, but then what? What I would
like it do do is go off hook on one of the tip/ring ports on the legacy PBX,
and dial the last 3 digits to reach another extension off the PBX. Can it be
programmed to do this? Or does the caller hear the Mediatrix answering the
call and then have to enter the desired extension manually?

I have a similar question for the reverse direction. What exactly does the
caller from the foreign office have to do to reach an extension in the U.S.
office? Thanks very much.

-Ron