[Asterisk-Users] Spring VON Wrap Up

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Apr 5 12:49:32 MST 2004

Scott Laird wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>
>> Members of the IETF added information on the to-be-standardized standard,
>> meaning that SIP with TLS over TCP will be mandatory. We need to start
>> working
>> on TCP and TLS support.
>

> Could someone explain to me why anyone in their right mind would ever
> want to run VoIP (or any lossy real-time data) over TCP?  Unless I'm
> missing something, the effects of packet loss would be almost perfectly
> pessimal.  Every time you lose a packet, the receiver stalls and then
> can't catch up, so you get horrifically huge delays.  Does it actually
> gain something for anyone doing voice or video?
SIP over TCP means signalling over TCP. Media is still usually RTP/UDP.
SIP over TCP and TLS authenticates both ends and may also protect the
signalling with encryption.

SRTP protects RTP/UDP media with encryption.

There are concerns that sending positioning within SIP/UDP will reveal
private detailes, like position. Hence the encryption requirement.

The position data needs to be given by the ISP in DHCP configuration.

/O