[Asterisk-Users] Spring VON Wrap Up

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Mon Apr 5 12:22:48 MST 2004

On Apr 5, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> Members of the IETF added information on the to-be-standardized
> standard,
> meaning that SIP with TLS over TCP will be mandatory. We need to start
> working
> on TCP and TLS support.

Could someone explain to me why anyone in their right mind would ever
want to run VoIP (or any lossy real-time data) over TCP?  Unless I'm
missing something, the effects of packet loss would be almost perfectly
pessimal.  Every time you lose a packet, the receiver stalls and then
can't catch up, so you get horrifically huge delays.  Does it actually
gain something for anyone doing voice or video?

Scott