[Asterisk-Users] Silence suppression on SIP calls generated from Asterisk?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Apr 5 08:50:08 MST 2004

> Personally, I think VAD is a great service, as well as comfort noise
> generation to disguise when VAD is working.  I'll always encourage
> methods that reduce bandwidth.   Most major developers on Asterisk
> consider these technologies of low concern since their bandwidth is
> "unlimited", as they typically sit in a co-lo somewhere (as many
> programmers of * are providers of service, not consumers.)  The reality
> for most end users is that they are on very restricted pipes that are
> delivered via a WAN technology (especially for outbound, if you consider
> residential) and being able to put more customers into expensive
> bitstreams makes a lot of financial sense.
I agree fully. We need to implement a good timer in the SIP channel,
both for VAD (but that's really in RTP, isn't it?) and for general
SIP timers according to the RFC.

Last week I also learned that DSL in the US is not as fat as DSL
in general is over here. Anything below 384 upstream is nothing you
can sell in Sweden :-)

/O