[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Questions

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Sat Apr 3 10:57:03 MST 2004

Darren Sessions wrote:

> I’ll apologize right away for asking stupid questions. J
>
> System Setup:
>
> SER = Proxy
>
> Asterisk = Voicemail
>
> All sip based setup.
>
>    1. What Is required to make asterisk –NOT- accept inbound
>       calls/signaling from an unknown host? I tried the peers in
>       sip.conf but it still allows unknown hosts to send it calls.
>       Does anyone have a suggestion or maybe some sample configs?

Don't put a context directive in the general section.

>    2. I’m trying to extensions.conf dynamic. Is there any other
>       alternative to the DynamicDB program to do something like that
>       at this time? I’m trying to avoid having to restart * every time
>       we make a change/addition.

DynExtenDB is the definition of EVIL. You don't have to restart
asterisk, just issue a reload. You have to reload apache, sendmail,
named, and so on so when you make changes, what's so hard about doing it
with Asterisk?

>    3. I’m going to be rolling out a fairly large installation of
>       Asterisk. What is the best way to have them all have the same
>       configs/be synchronized?

Build a provisioning system around asterisk. I've done it....Its not
very hard, if you understand the whole concept of Asterisk's
architecture. (and no i'm not going to waste time explaining it or
providing any of my provisioning system code)

>    4. Does anyone have any good tips/advice on SER+Asterisk integration?

Prepare for hair loss and heartburn. SER is a joke in my book. (Along
with RADIUS in a VoIP environment, java and anything Microsoft, but
that's off topic)

Jeremy McNamara