[Asterisk-Users] Question receiving calls via SIP

Steven Kokinos steve at kokinos.com
Sat Apr 3 19:00:27 MST 2004

Hello-

I am in the process of adding a new provider to my asterisk box (both
for outbound termination as well as inbound DID). They are going to be
delivering and receiving traffic via SIP only.

Now, in IAX via Voicepulse or others I know that I can simply have one
registration statement along with an inbound context, then in
extension.conf map the outbound context.

from iax.conf:

register => in-xxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxx at gw5.voicepulse.com

from extensions.conf
[voicepulse-in]
exten => 212xxxxxxx,1,Dial(${PHONES1}&${PHONES2},30)
exten => 212xxxxxxx,2,Voicemail2(u${PHONES1VM})
exten => 212xxxxxxx,3,Hangup

I know this way I only have to register once, but can receive calls on
several inbound DID numbers without any problem, provided they are all
mapped similar to what I have above within extensions.conf.

My question is whether or not the same thing will work for a sip
provider, as it will be pretty cumbersome from a networking standpoint
to have a registration statement for each DID (as opposed to simply
having a new extension statement).  In the syntax of the sip
registration statement it appears to always end with the /extension
that is supposed to be associated with that account.

Can the /extension be left off of the statement in sip.conf, and picked
up in the same way DID's are used in iax.conf? If not, why are there
separate methods for registering each protocol, would seem cleaner to
have a consistent way of dealing with this.

Regards,

-Steve