[Asterisk-Users] * server acting as SIP/IAX gateway problem

Owais Zuber owais_asterisk at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 23:00:15 MST 2004

Hi,

My company is a call center and we are using * server for voip calls to america. * server is installed on a dual CPU machine and it is acting as a SIP/IAX2 gateway. SIP protocol is used for agents to connect to * server and * server used IAX2 protocol to connect to our VoIP service provider. There are around 25 agents currently working and making maximum 25 calls simentaneously. Agents are using estara softphone (www.estara.com) as SIP client. We are making around 4000 calls to america in one day and we are working 7 hours per day.

We are having two kinds of problem in this setup.

1. There are around 10 problems daily that the agent experience a very strong echo.
2. There are around 40 problems daily that the agent can hear the client clearly but the client cannot hear the agent.

My analysis suggests that there are three possible reasons for these problems.

1. Estara Softphone.
2. Our service provider.
3. * server working as a SIP/IAX2 gateway.

We are behind a firewall, I have taken * server outside the firewall but the problems remain the same. I strongly think that * server acting as a SIP/IAX2 gateway is the main cause.

Any clues as to why these problems are arising is highly appreciated. I am willing to do any change to my setup in order to get rid of these problems.

Looking forward to your co-operation.

Regards,

Owais Bin Zubair