[Asterisk-Users] Sip phone with push display?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Apr 1 11:36:00 MST 2004

At 7:54 AM -0600 3/31/04, Rich Adamson wrote:
>From: Rich Adamson <radamson at routers.com>
>To: Asterisk-a-users-list <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Sip phone with push display?
>
>Anyone know of a business class sip hard phone that includes a quality
>display capable of supporting "push" data (maybe Polycom?). Something like...
>   VM: 3 msgs
>   OurStock (1:43pm): 59.5
>somewhere on the display that can be updated (pushed) from a server?
>
>Rich

The Polycom IP600 (and IP500?) support it, though I have not worked
directly with those units and the subscribe/notify syntax yet.

The Snom phone (220?) support it, and even have a nice operator
console, so I'm very interested to see those ship Real Soon Now.

The Sayson (Aastra?) IP phones support it, but they're also vaporware
until next month.

I saw the InterTel 8690 at VON, which I'm _certain_ supports it, but
I think $1200 is a bit out of your budget range (though it is a VERY
nice looking phone, even though it runs CE.)  InterTel's other phones
support it - models 8662 and 8620 probably will do what you want, but
only with LEDs to say who's on the phone (no "big display" on those
units.)

The Cisco 79xx phones don't support "push", which really is
disappointing.  It would be trivial to do (though it _must_ be
authenticated!) and would be a big asset if they had a NOTIFY method
that allowed an XML URL to be sent to the phone.  I've beaten my head
on the table enough about Cisco's crippled SIP features; I'm shortly
going to start to experiment with and possibly move to other
platforms if they prove stable enough.  I'm a big fan of Cisco
equipment, but they haven't kept up with other vendors in the SIP
software department, and they've never kept up with "transparency"
from a purchasing perspective.

JT