[Asterisk-Users] Still trying program -> phone call

Andy Powell andy at beagles-den.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 16:26:19 MST 2004

John,

Yes, asterisk can do that, and in fact it's very simple. The problem at the moment is your level of knowledge of asterisk, but this can be resolved...

There are a number of things you need:

1 Access to the PSTN - this can be done via a single X100P card (plugs into a standard phone line) or one of the sinlge port T1 cards or 4 port TDM410 cards (if you need a shedload of lines). You can also use a VoIP -> PSTN gateway or gateway service (such as, but not limited to, NuFone)

If you use the X100P, then as I say, a standard analogue phone line is all you need (you can add upto 3 X100P's iirc without issues).
If you want to use the T1 cards then you need to get your local telco to deliver T1's to your location

The process I think you are trying to create would be something like this:

Your script reads a database and generates call files for each person it needs to call. The call file contains the number to ring and the context and extention to deliver the called person to. This extension simply runs an AGI script that plays the menu and waits for user input ( various things can be done if the user does not respond eg flag a potential user in distress) - this information is then fed back to the database so that you can report on it... (or alternatively raise an immediate alarm). The AGI can be scripted in almost any language you like.

Personally I think the medical service should just employ more people for home visits, since seeing a person is better than just hearing an automated voice on the phone.. (you may have differing opinions, but I come from a culture of free healthcare (however bad it is at the moment))

You are correct, the WiSIP is just a distraction, besides, from what I saw at CeBit, wait a few months and you'll have more choice. I'd suggest getting a copy of SJPhone (what we call a softphone - ie it's software not hardware) from www.sjlabs.com - it's a nice simple interface.

It looks to me like you put  800 with a context of callme in your .call file...

I suggest that you abide by the adage, "learn to walk before you run" ... You can take a look at my guide at http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm (there are others) which may help clear up one or two points of understanding...

You could of course pay my air fare to Boston (and back) and hotel costs and I'd gladly help you out in person.. after my time at VON in Boston last year I wouldn't mind visiting again :D

HTH

Andy