[Asterisk-Users] CISCO 7940 and directory/services problem

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Apr 1 06:28:54 MST 2004

> I have been setting up a * system for my new office I plan to setup soon.
> I have some CISCO 7940 phones.  All appears to be going well in regard to
> phone calls etc.  Still getting my head around extensions voice mail etc.
> getting it to work with X100P cards etc.
>
> I have been trying to implement the DIRECTORIES button, and play with the
> services buttons.
>
> Reading from the voip-info site, I have the info from that, however, its not
> working.
> I am running firmware 6.3 on the phone.  Is there a possible change of
> implementation? But usually backward compatibility would be covered.
>
> I also tried pointing the Phone to the ones as listed on the voip-info site.
> This kinda worked, but most pages don't and the phone just tries and tries
> to get the page.
> If listing a directories page, it comes back with an error "CMXML Error"
>
> Any suggestions would help?

On your tftp server (that the Cisco phones boot from), you should have a file
called SIPDefault.cnf that inclues entries like:

directory_url: "http://www.myserver.com/asterisk/directory.html"     ; URL fo
r external Directory location
logo_url: "http://www.myserver.com/asterisk/mylogo.bmp" ; URL for branding logo
to be used on phone display

and a file like SIP<MyPhonesMAC>.cnf with an entry like:
messages_uri: "3123"

The directory_url must point to a valid web page containing xml statements like:
<CiscoIPPhoneDirectory>
<Title>IP Telephony Directory</Title>
<Prompt>People reachable via VoIP</Prompt>
<DirectoryEntry>
<Name>Wife</Name>
<Telephone>3005</Telephone>
</DirectoryEntry>
<DirectoryEntry>
<Name>GirlFriend</Name>
<Telephone>3006</Telephone>
</DirectoryEntry>
</CiscoIPPhoneDirectory>

Each time you press the C7940's "Directory" button and select "External
Directory", the C7960 will read the above XML file and display the entries.

If you program the "messages_url:" entry as shown above, each time you
press the "Messages" button on the phone, it will auto-dial x3123.
Obviously, you need an entry in extensions.conf like:
 exten => 3123,1,VoicemailMain2(${CALLERIDNUM})
to instruct asterisk what to do when a phone dials x3123.

The "services" button on the Cisco "sip" phones cannot be programmed as
far as I know. Not heard of anyone that has made it work unless the phone
is running Cisco's proprietary firmware (not sip).

Rich