[Asterisk-Users] CDR Web Search Frontend

Troy Settle troy at psknet.com
Tue Sep 30 13:02:18 MST 2003

With all the discussion about licensing issues and the sort, I think it's
time for a full blown 3rd party application to work with Asterisk while at
the same time not causing Asterisk to become encumbered.  For such a
project, I'm license neutral.  While I prefer the BSD license, the GPL would
work just as well for such a project.

I'd say the first order of business, is to move this discussion to a
separate list so as not to annoy the purists.  Perhaps Digium would be
willing to host it?  Call it Asterisk-Addons and let us go have some fun?

Here's some general thoughts on the project.

For management, the interface and API is already defined.  The only way I
can think to improve this, is with the addition of SNMP read/write as well
as traps, but I'm sure that would create additional licensing issues for
Digium.

For general configuration, we can write text configuration files.  We could
also add a hook in Asterisk to tell it to obtain it's configuration from a
different fd (one that opens a socket to our stand-alone system).  Doing
this would allow suckers (like me) to run a live configuration from a MySQL
database, and would allow Digium to say "too bad it crashed, but we can't
help you if you're not using the default configuration schema."

For accounting, asterisk can write to a named pipe instead of or in addition
to the default csv file.  The only other things I can think to add, would be
an option to send data to syslog as well.

Additional hooks can be defined if needed, as long as we used named pipes or
sockets or whatever to maintain a seperation.  Doing it like this would keep
Asterisk at arms length from the encumbered code, allowing Digium to keep
the dual license option while also allowing the rest of the world to explore
the possibilities.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks