[Asterisk-Users] Help with GPL license of Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Sep 30 08:27:31 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 09:27, WipeOut wrote:
> Alejandro Olchik wrote:
>
> >I understand Asterisk have contributions of many
> >developers and not only from Digium.
> >
> >When licensing Asterisk from Digium looking other kind
> >of licence than GPL, what happens with the rights of
> >other members of this community?
> >
> >Alejandro
> >
> No code is commited to Asterisk unless the developer has returned a
> disclaimer to Digium which basically renounces any claim to the code..

This is not true. No code is committed to CVS with out Digium having the
right to a non-exclusive, royalty-free and non-cancellable right to use
changes and/or enhancements. This means if you contribute code, you keep
your copyright for the code, but have also given Digium the right to use
the code in any way they see fit. This keeps the core code unencumbered
of GPL only code for Digium. The rest of us receive the code either via
a GPL license or a paid for commercial license.